Wednesday, December 5, 2018

ROAST PORK ON THANKSGIVING DAY IN SAN JUAN

The smell of road pork coming from la fonda El Sabroso in the street leading to La Placita de Santurce forced me to stop feeling sorry for myself and wondering why none of my relatives in Puerto Rico invites me to spend Thanksgiving Day with them. When my sisters were alive or in good health I was called in New York and asked to come to Puerto Rico. Now, that I am in Puerto Rico none of their children invite me.

El Sabroso, following the Puerto Rican tradition, also served roast pork on Thanksgiving Day. After finishing the roast pork and the feeling sorry for myself was replaced by a full stomach (nothing like a good meal to move sensations from the heart to the bowels), I decided to list all the reasons I was not invited -from complete "descuido" or devaluing importance of experience" to full frontal attack by Christian fanatics (por los nenes o la moral que perdona robos de tumbas y comportamientos irrespetuosos en velorios, pero no a viejos homos, mucho menos si se quejan) or "esposas en busca de un iluso control"- and concluded, pues......

No comments: