Wednesday, February 13, 2019

DENSITY OF BARBRA STREISAND

The Round Table was the gay cabaret/disco par excellence in NYC, late 1960s; and the drag queen performing, singing Barbra Streisand’s songs was the star. One night, it was announced that he was not to perform anymore. After the “nooooosss” from the not so old baby boomers, he continued saying that he was very happy, had finished his degree in education and was going to start working as a bilingual teacher in Queens (no pun intended). For many years, that was the only important memory I had regarding la Streisand. Her singing was too emotional, lyrical, grandiloquent for my more “French existentialist new wave” heavy attitude towards “kultur”, until today, when I decided to throw away all my over fifty years old manuscripts and diaries, and suddenly, felt that only the Streisand’s version of Free Again could accompany me in the new bearable lightness of being, with its fluid and clear density. 

No comments: