Monday, October 22, 2018

TOXIC AIR

“When I walk
I part the air
and always
the air moves in   
to fill the spaces
where my body’s been.” 
(Mark Strand: Keeping Things Whole)

Their laugh and clear disdain shown in their bodies and facial expressions, when the husband read an announcement of a special concerns meeting and said, “There is going to be a LBGTQ reunion”, and then he repeated sarcastically, shaping his face and moving his eyes like Gloria Swanson, “LBGTQeuuT!”  

Unable to imitate his Middle America accent (mine is influenced by its sexual and colonial histories), and because at that moment I had very little consideration for their slaved and epistemologically retarded minds, I chose to stare directly at them with the blanked and stern face of someones who understands what is being said and wondered who the fuck are these people who think is ok to make fun of others, and decided to leave the place. I had fought too many battles against racists, linguistic purists, class snobs, machos machos, and homophobes, so at moments like that, it is better to leave the space so those "trogloditas" can continue breathing the toxic air they pollute. 

No comments: