Friday, June 1, 2018

ON RACISM AND THE HIGHER MORAL GROUND AT THE NEW YORK TIMES

"When did not being racist become "moral high ground"? Is it not more simple? Not racist is moral and racist is immoral." (Dane)

"I am a white man, so I'm not usually on the receiving end of this kind of attack. But I am also a Jew, and there have been a couple of times in my life when I have been accosted directly, face-to-face with blatant, intentional, anti-Semitic insults. Neither of the offenders was anyone I particularly respected, but make no mistake, the comments hurt. Mr. Blow has probably had more of these encounters than I and more opportunity to build up emotional callus.

I question, however, whether focusing on the moral inferiority of the offender and denying the personal impact on the recipient is the answer. I read a quote from a politician recently that said "never look down on someone unless its to give them a hand up." Nobody owes Roseanne a hand up, but looking down on people, whether "deserved" or not, is a bad habit. I'm already guilty of this and I don't think I should aspire to do it more.

Just as importantly, denying the personal hurt dehumanizes the recipient and diminishes the extent of the moral offense. We are human beings and of course it hurts, even those who are relatively emotionally secure. As Americans, it is the attack on our democratic ideal that all men are created equal that should make us condemn Roseanne. As empathetic beings, it is the pain felt by individuals that should make us angry.” (Dan)

"Of all the writers at the NY Times, Mr. Blow best reflects my own views and opinions. However, I feel like there is something missing in this piece. Racist speech doesn't hurt our feelings, but you can't separate racist speech from racist actions. The purpose of racist speech is to justify, solidify and perpetrate racist actions that result in injury and death, both physical and economic. My mind turns to my own personal experiences, from physical attacks on the playground to racist harassment on the job. We make less money than our white counterparts and are told to do more and work harder. Behind every racist joke is a threat of physical violence. Maybe it's only because I'm older that I can still remember actual lynchings, and I can never forget that day when a young man was dragged through the town I'm from by a rope from the trailer hitch of a pickup truck until his body disintegrated. I'm not too proud to say my feelings aren't hurt only because I'm too busy being scared." (Steve,)

No comments: