Saturday, July 20, 2019

ALCOHOLISM AND HEAT

Alcoholism has always been a family problem. It was my tendency until one day, a few days ago, I realized I wanted to change my mood but did not want to do it with a glass of wine. My body or my spirit or both together or a larger force told me to stay with the feeling and wait, just wait. I did and slowly the desire to drink alcohol disappeared; and a sense of been in the present, in place took over. It was not a miracle. I had dealt with it in therapy and was a central issue in my homeopathic treatment. But at that moment, when I felt the desire to drink and the body or spirit or larger force intervened, alcoholism became a stranger I once knew. A stranger that did not bring peace, but a false sense of joy. Both my parents were chronic alcoholics and, in turn, two of my brothers became alcoholics. Other members of the family were also alcoholics: grandparents, uncles, in laws, nephews, a niece. Like a lot of alcoholics, some of my relatives became economic and socially dependent. Others were pathological liars and quite violent, or died as a result of alcoholic driven illnesses. A few, developed overblown egos that prevented them from seeing how they were viewed by the significant others. If what they say about the disease is true, that is inherited, I was there on line. Alcoholism was inherited while I was being surrounded by the heat of the tropics, and it was a hot New York city night that triggered the qualitative leap. I had never enjoyed a glass of cold water as much as I did that night, when alcohol was not longer needed by my body or spirit or larger force to be in peace surrounded by heat. 

No comments: