Tuesday, June 18, 2019

AS TO WHEN A PERSON IS TO BE USED AS A PUPPET AND CHILDREN CAGED BY TRUMP

During one of those many periods in my life when I was in need of a close friend to share what I was going through (a few friends and acquaintances were dying of Aids -one was living with me-, my brother and mother dying of cancer and a friend being harassed by the police for being a PR independence activist) and who was not directly linked to these people, I met a student of mine who showed a great deal of affinity with my view of the world (that is how she portrayed herself while getting a lot of benefits from my role as a professor and supervisor of student teachers, including buying an apartment, really cheap, left by one of my dead friends as an inheritance). She pretended to be supportive until she moved into her doctoral world and did not need me anymore, then not only did she moved away from me, but shared intimate aspects of my life with her new “academic” friends. She had begun to show signs indicating that she was not the friend I thought she was, but did not paid much attention to them, and at a mass I offered in honor of my ex lover -she was the only person I asked to accompany me and did not show up; already had gotten all the benefits she could get from me-, I realized who she was and decided not to support her anymore. What kind of a man one is for a woman like that? She is not the only person who lives according to self-serving ideas of what a man, a woman, a homosexual, a heterosexual, Mexican, Puerto Rican, black or white person is, and how can one of those person/objects (conscious or not) serve the needs and desires of the “parasite”. Have I been there or am I currently there in that position? Yes, I have. Yes, I am. How do I stop from being a parasite to a person who deserves to be treated with respect and decency, I ask. How do I act with sincerity and authenticity when dealing with others? When do I let life to continue flowing and do not become vindictive and share how others have treated me, and stop using related anecdotes to explain a larger point? What do i say when a national leader uses his position and power to dismiss groups of people based on gender, race or ethnicity to achieve his goals? Is there any difference between me and my ex-student and Trump and the immigrant kids housed in cages? Often, questions are so fundamental, one must ask them not only in terms of degrees and values, but how are they interconnected.

No comments: