Friday, April 12, 2019

A MAN AND A WOMAN MAGNETIC POLES

It was not sex that attracted us. It was one of those essentialist qualities that both genders have that compliment each other. Protection of the other was not. She was brought up by politically conscious well educated parents to be an independent woman, and I -forced by extreme poverty to hit the streets at a very early age, to make a dollar or whatever I could make to go to a movie or eat what my parents could not provide- did not need to be taken care of; was taking care of myself against all odds for a long, long time. As a matter of fact, we both knew how to take care of others and were doing so in our own professional fields and families. We both knew what love for a good friend was and how to appreciate it. Yet, it was not love for each other the only reason for the attraction. It was those inner drives that serve as human magnetic poles. When she died, I lost a piece of myself. The force that brought us together is there and knows quite well what opposite energy it needs to attach itself to. I am gay, she was not; so sex was not the source of our magnetism. 

No comments: