Friday, April 12, 2019

DAMNATION MEMORIAE IN THE AGE OF CHIPS, WIRES AND THE CLOUD

"Damnatio memoriae" has been applied from the times of Egyptian pharaoh Hacitshepsut in the fourteenth century BC, later on legislated by the Roman Senate to currently, my own sales of the apartment, where I decided to get rid of old files, personal memorabilia, photos and manuscripts. It means "condemnation of memory". There are -and have been- many instances where "damnatio memoriae" has been executed, including the burning of books by the Inquisition, destruction of depictions and statues by certain Islamists, the removal of names from inscriptions and documents, and even large-scale rewritings of history. No accounts of Jesus Christ appears in Roman records and it has been suggested that it was due to the "damnatio memoriae" laws. He was not nice to the Pharisees and the Romans. In my case it was not the State, religion, or not even my ego, afraid that people would discover my true self and ability as a writer. It was how expensive it is to move boxes from one place to another, and since all the files were digitalized, the "damnatio memoriae" was not fully completed; unless there is a blackout or my computer erases the files or I do not pay for the services in the Cloud. It can happen. 

No comments: